Life can get busy! Some days it might feel like there just isn’t enough time to squeeze in taking care of ourselves.
Choosing to make these detox methods part of your everyday morning routine, can help you check ‘taking care of yourself’ off of your list! Knowing that you are doing something to detox your body, will not only bring you better health but peace of mind at the end of every busy day.
5 amazing benefits of drinking lemon water first thing in the morning:
- Aids in proper digestion due in part, to its atomic composition that is similar to saliva and the chloric acid of digestive juices. It encourages the liver to produce bile – an acid that is required for healthy digestion.
- In addition to stimulating bile production, an antioxidant called D-limonene (found in citrus peels) has been shown to activate enzymes in the liver that are part of Phase 1 and Phase 2 detoxification processes. Because the liver plays a critical role in helping all organs function well, it’s always a good idea to keep these detox phases running smoothly.
- Lemons are a good source of Vitamin C, which in turn can give the immune system a boost! Vitamin C also works to support the adrenal glands which can help strengthen our response stress response.
- Healthy skin! Lemon water is incredibly hydrating and helps to “flush” the body and improve digestion, and this can lead to a clearer complexion. Vitamin C is also needed for collagen production, which is responsible for the smoothness and elasticity of our skin.
- Lemons contain pectin (a type of fibre), which can help you to feel fuller longer. Lemon juice may also help to control our insulin response which in turn can with weight management and healthy maintain blood sugar levels.
How to prepare your morning lemon water:
- 8-12 ounces fresh, filtered water; warm, but not boiling
- Juice or slices of ½ organic lemon; tip – zest the lemon first and save for other recipes
- Optional: small knob of fresh ginger
Drink this first thing in the morning upon waking, before eating or drinking anything else – especially not after brushing your teeth. Yuck!
NOTE: For those with sensitive teeth it may be better to drink it through a bamboo straw to protect your tooth enamel.
Liver support herbal tea
Drink green tea instead of coffee
While there are the options of drinking lemon water and/or herbal tea instead of coffee in the morning, you might not be willing to give up your caffeine just yet. Enter green tea!
With so many varieties out there, including the earthy tasting, antioxidant-rich matcha tea variety – it makes it easier to swap out the occasional cup of java.
Some benefits of drinking green tea:
- Anti-inflammatory and full of antioxidants like polyphenols, namely EGCG – the beneficial component found in green tea extract supplements
- Green tea has less caffeine than coffee does: 25-40 mg of caffeine as compared to 100-200 mg in a cup of coffee
- It is alkaline, whereas coffee is very acidic
- Green tea bags can be used topically to help reduce bags under the eyes from tiredness
Dry skin brushing
This practice is thought to stimulate the lymphatic system, boost circulation, improve digestion, sweep away dead skin cells, help the body remove waste, and even improve the appearance of cellulite – bonus!
The lymphatic system is responsible for removing interstitial fluid from our tissues. If this vital system is congested, it can lead to the excessive buildup of toxins, ultimately causing inflammation and illness.
Try a quick dry skin brushing session before jumping in the shower in the morning – you’ll feel amazingly invigorated!
Here’s a step-by-step Guide: How To Dry Brush
If your lymphatic system is really sluggish you may want to use a gentle homeopathic formula to help with lymphatic flow.
Once you’re ready to expand your morning detox routine, you could add a few heating yoga poses that activate core muscles and help increase blood flow. Some poses might include Downward dog (Adho Mukha Svanasana), Plank pose (plank pose) and Happy baby pose (Ananda Balasana). Yoga positions that are considered twists, will be extra beneficial as they help to stimulate digestion and promote proper elimination, which serves to boost your body’s natural detoxification process for the rest of the day.
Whether it’s a few simple yoga poses or some other light physical activity, simply moving your body and a light sweat, especially in the morning, has far-reaching benefits. These include increasing circulation, stimulating the lymphatic system, stabilizing blood sugar and boosting energy levels.
It’s exactly as it sounds – scraping the surface of your tongue, gently, with a special tool found in most natural health stores.
Sheila Patel, MD wrote in an article for the Chopra Center,
“The ancient Ayurvedic recommendation of tongue scraping is one that is often overlooked. There are many benefits to this daily practice as far as oral health, and overall physical, mental, and spiritual health. Since the oral cavity is one of the main gateways between your mind/body and the environment, maintaining the health of this connection is critical to general well-being.”
Also, looking at a patient’s tongue is actually quite common practice among alternative practitioners, such as Naturopaths. What they’re looking for are irregularities that may be indicative of more serious health issues.
For example, a thickened tongue with “waffled” edges may point to thyroid dysfunction, while a white coating (the most noticeable first thing in the morning) may indicate the presence of Candida – or yeast overgrowth.
The Chopra Center article also states that “the tongue is the mirror to all the organs of the body, and thus, a daily look at the tongue prior to scraping gives you a clue to your general health.”
Squeeze in your detox daily!
So go ahead and squeeze in some (or all seven) of these simple methods to ensure your detoxification system gets a daily boost.