Last month the hubby and I packed up our 12 month-old son (and ok half the house, and grandma and grandpa) and ventured off to land of sea and sun – beautiful Mexico! To be honest, I was a little worried about what to expect given that it was my son’s first plane ride and trip down south. Would his ears hurt on the plane? Was he going to get sick from the water? Would he burn in the sun? Of course I played the cool naturopath mom on the outside and insisted that he would be just fine … and guess what … he was! We had a wonderful holiday and despite spiking a fever 24 hours before departure (of course, right?), I only opened my “medicine” bag once for a fall. I will admit that being well-prepared with my bag of goodies helped ease my concerns. Since I really didn’t get to use them much, thought I would share my medicine bag goodies here with you.
Some of my must-haves for travel down-south (or anywhere!) with a baby:
These are a must. I packed the Orange Naturals Probiotic Powder Toddler to Teen and our whole family used it at varying doses. Having a team of bacterial soldiers ready and willing to defend you is always helpful when travelling and being exposed to foreign bacteria.
I could easily make a case for packing almost the entire Orange Naturals homeopathic line, but thank goodness for travel restrictions! The products listed below are my go-to for travelling. Since the weight and bottle sizes can quickly add-up, you might consider transferring some to a smaller size amber bottle prior to travel.
- Bites + Stings (for kids)
- Bumps + Bruises (for kids)
- Cough + Cold Night (for kids)
- Earache (for kids)
- Fever (for kids)
- Jet Lag (if you are travelling across time-zones)
- Nausea + Vomiting (for kids)
- Teething (for kids)
I usually pack both adult and child packets of electrolytes just in case traveller’s illness hits anyone. A homemade recipe works well, but you might be in pinch to find some items when you are in a foreign country.
These are a few items that I found particularly helpful on our trip.
- Disposable bibs, changing pad sheets, lots of diapers and wipes (swimmies too)
- Pureed organic fruit and veggie packages – these are great for quick snacks and if you are worried about bacterial contamination from raw foods for your wee-ones
- An inflatable bath-tub – helped keep my little guy safe in the huge hotel bathtub!
- Coconut oil – useful for skin irritations or burns. Doubles as a moisturizer or shaving cream!
- UV shade cover – useful for the stroller or playpen if baby is napping or strolling outdoors. Doubles as an insect barrier too!
And the most important tip? Have fun! And when you leave the warm weather behind, don’t fret, the memories you create on your holiday will keep your heart warm forever.
Do you have any tried and true travel tips? Any must-haves for your suitcase when travelling with babies? We’d love to hear them!
Enjoy and Bon Voyage!